This plot has been used by the Royal Hospital Chelsea since 1894. The area was originally laid out with some memorials and headstones. These were largely removed in 1954 when the hospital authorities decided to economise on the maintenance of the plot. Some of the original memorials were placed on the boundary of the plot.
The large central memorial (shown below) was dedicated in 1937. Today the plot is used for the reception of ashes of Chelsea Pensioners. Burials of Chelsea Pensioners at Brookwood continue in the "new" Hospital burial ground behind the Canadian military section.